Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sweets N Beets...



Today I was going to make hummus...and I had been at work.  Kind of silly how I day dream about recipes instead of other things I could be doing, but I suppose, since I work in a health food store, I am looking at food a lot!  I was feeling rather uninspired in the realm of hummus.  I didn't want the usual flavors such as plain garlic, or roasted red pepper.  Now, don't get me wrong, those flavors are delicious, but I was in an exotic sort of mood.  I randomly walked by the Terra chips, which are delicious with hummus by the way, and the "Sweets & Beets" variety caught my eye.  Suddenly it dawned on me...sweets and beet hummus!  I had used beets in hummus before, and they gave it a lovely pink hue, but didn't add much flavor.  Sweet potatoes however, would add a sweet flavor, and their colors together would be beautiful!  So when I got home, I whipped up this concoction, using white beans as the base, and the usuals for hummus, olive oil, lemon and cumin, with a bit of chipotle for kick, and of couse lots of garlic!  I changed it up by using some almond butter instead of the traditional tahini, because I love the sweet flavor it gives the hummus.  It was beautiful once it was all blended together...like a sunset, a vibrant coral pinkish color. But even more exciting was the flavor!  It was sweet, and garlicy, with a zip from the lemon and heat from the chipotle!  Scrumtious, especially with the Terra chips I had bought that inspired it!  I also enjoyed some as a dip for raw green beans and it was fabulous!  Try out this lovely hummus with some chips, or whatever you like to munch on! 


Sweets N Beets Hummus
Makes 3 cups

1 1/2 cups cooked navy beans (canned is fine)
2 cups cooked yam or sweet puree
1 cup cooked beets, diced
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp sea salt or to taste
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/4-1/2 tsp chipotle powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
freshly ground pepper to taste
water as needed

In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth, adding water if necessary to thin out. Serve with chips or veggies for dipping, or as a spread on a sandwich!

2 comments:

Alexandra D. said...

Hi Amy! I work with TERRA Chips and they LOVE your recipe! Can you send me your email address? I'd love to see if we could use your recipe!

Alex

Amy said...

Hey Alexandra! Sure :)! My address is:
lyoamyl@bethel.edu