Friday, September 17, 2010

Squash and Basil Hummus with Balsamic


Summer is coming to a close, and fall is coming to a start. It is one of my favorite times year for produce since we have the last of the summer herbs and veggies, and yet the winter squash are just coming into season! I recently made a hummus that combined the goodness of both summer and fall, using some leftover cooked buttercup squash to give it a lovely sweet flavor, and basil to give some complexity. A little different for me, since I almost always pair squash with rosemary and thyme, but it worked, and it was a wonderful combo! I used white beans as my base bean this time, and added a bit of balsamic vinegar and lemon juice to brighten up the flavor. This is one of the best uses for using up cooked squash I have ever thought of! It makes a really good flavorful spread for a sandwich with veggies (which is my favorite way to use it), as a dip with crunchy vegetables of any sort, or on some nice crusty bread. It is so easy to whip up fast if you have cooked beans and squash...try it out now that squash are abundant!

Squash and Basil Hummus with Balsamic
Makes 3 cups

1 1/2 cups cooked navy beans (canned is fine)
2 cups cooked squash puree (preferably kabocha or buttercup)
3 small garlic cloves
juice of one lemon juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp sea salt or to taste
freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup fresh basil, packed
water as needed

In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth, adding water if necessary to thin out. Serve with chips or veggies for dipping, or as a spread on a sandwich!



4 comments:

Sneige said...

Oh that sounds so tasty! Will def have to try it! Thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

This sounds really interesting. Being a picky eater, I'm not a fan of butternut squash, but this could be a good way to introduce it into my diet! :)

Amy said...

Try Buttercup or Kabocha squash, they are far tastier than butternut!

Isabel said...

Wow, so creative! Sounds delicious, I will definitively have to try this one out!