Friday, August 6, 2010

Vanilla Maple Blueberry Granola



When I was deciding what type of granola I wanted to make tonight, I knew one thing...I definately wanted to include blueberries!  I had a large container of dried berries in my fridge, and I knew they would go wonderfully in granola!  I soon decided that this granola would contain large amounts of vanilla and maple in several forms.  I added vanilla powder which is ground up vanilla bean pods from which the seeds have been removed...a wonderful use for those leftover pods that have been sitting in your vanilla sugar for a while...they pack a large amount of flavor!  I also added a whole Tbsp of vanilla extract, the vanilla lover that I am.  Maple was to be the other flavor in this granola, in the form of syrup, sugar and extract!  I would not simply be satisfied with oats and dried fruit in my granola, nuts are a must, so this time I added walnuts and pecans, as well as some coconut...which belongs in almost every good granola as far as I am concerned!  The smell of this granola as it was baking was enough to change anyone's mood from bad to good...it was amazing and fragrant!  Almost like oatmeal cookies but way better with the additions of the maple and coconut aromas! The first taste would be the test though if this would be as good as it smelled...I was in luck, it was better!  Vanilla and maple flavors married with chewy dried berries, and crunchy salty sweet oats and nuts...everything I crave!  Simple but wonderful, and something that you may find yourself eating more than once a day if you try making it! 


Vanilla Maple Blueberry Granola
Makes about 14 cups of delicious granola

6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 cups pecans
2 cups walnuts
2 cups large flake coconut
3/4 cup walnut oil
3/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp maple sugar
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp vanilla powder*
1 tsp maple extract
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups dried blueberries

Line a large baking sheet with non-stick foil, and spray with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 and set rack at the medium position. In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, pecans, and coconut, and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together oil, maple syrup, maple sugar, sea salt, vanilla bean seeds, maple and vanilla extracts until well combined, then pour over oat mixture and toss to coat until completely blended. Pour out onto prepared baking sheet, and spread out evenly. Bake for 35 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes or so until the granola is evenly browned. Remove from oven and let cool. Stir in blueberries, and enjoy!

*grind leftover vanilla bean pods to a powder and you have vanilla powder!


5 comments:

Kim (Liv Life) said...

I have only made granola a time or two, but this one looks worthy enough to save the recipe for my next batch! I recently started making a bread that calls for granola, so we have been going through it much faster.

The Manly Housewife said...

This looks really good

Mother Rimmy said...

I love a healthy granola. Especially home made. The store bought brands are so loaded with salt and preservatives, I can't make myself spend good money for them.

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

I love granola and have always wanted to make it. Your recipe looks wonderful and a must try! Thank you for sharing!!

CC Recipe said...

I can always munch on some granola, and this is definitely one I would like to munch on, looks great!