Friday, June 18, 2010

Vanilla Girl Martini



I decided that I needed to create a signature drink...it would be called the Vanillagirl Martini.  This drink would contain all of my favorite flavors...vanilla of course was a requirement.  Now normally when I order a drink I will order a classic dirty martini, or something else not too sweet.  So, I chose simply Prairie Organic Vodka as my base liquor.  I made a honey syrup, since I prefer honey to sugar any day, for it's wonderful complex flavor.  Then I added real vanilla beans to the honey syrup to give it lots of vanilla flavor, which I wanted to be very present in my drink!  I wanted a bit of sour to go with the sweet of the honey, so I chose lemon juice, since I can't get enough lemon in the summer!  Basil was my last addition to my drink recipe, because basil is my herb of choice in the warm months, and about every day I pick some fresh from my patio.  This may not be the classic way to make a martini, but it sure is delicious, and refreshing!  It ended up being my perfect signature drink, and I will be making it many times this summer!  No need to spend over $10 on a artisan drink in a fine restaurant.  Try this on a hot day, and you won't be disappointed! 

Vanilla Honey Syrup:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup honey
seeds of one vanilla bean

Heat water until boiling, remove from heat and whisk in honey and vanilla beans, until honey is dissolved.  Chill well before using in drinks.  Makes 1/2 cup syrup


Vanilla Girl Martini
Serves 1

2 large fresh basil leaves
4-6 large ice cubes
1 oz honey vanilla syrup
2 oz Prairie Organic Vodka
1 oz fresh organic lemon juice

In a martini shaker, muddle the basil leaves with the ice, crushing them until they are in small pieces.  Add the vanilla honey syrup, vodka, and lemon juice, place top on shaker, and shake until well blended.  Pour into a chilled martini glass, and serve!

7 comments:

Lauren said...

That sounds delightful! I love basil the way you love vanilla. I love the green color too.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I created a signature drink for our wedding that this reminded me of. Makes me want a cocktail! What a perfect post for a Friday :)

Anonymous said...

Nicely done, Vanilla Girl! I had a similar martini tonight (minus the basil and honey) and was planning to work on my own version at home--you beat me to it! :)

Stacey Rider said...

Just read the recipe to my daughter and we will be trying this out! Looks delish!

bunkycooks said...

I bet this is really good. Great flavors for a signature drink!

The Housewife said...

This sounds delicious. I love the idea of having a signature drink... very fab!

The Food Apprecianado said...

I'm adding mixology to my food hobbies, so I'll make up a batch and check it out! Creative~