Friday, May 14, 2010

Eggs in Puttanesca

Occasionally I get a craving for something with Italian flare!  Which was the case last night...however, I did not want pasta, it seemed a bit too heavy.  I was tired from work and not wanting to make anything too complicated.  A puttanesca sauce sounded good...the type laced with capers, olives and mushrooms...and a splash of wine as well as some Italian herbs.  A sauce so good, you could eat it simply with some toasted bread for dipping...but of course, it would need a protein source as well!  Since I don't eat chicken or beef and didn't have any seafood on hand...eggs would be my protein!  I thought I would poach some eggs, and serve them in the sauce with a bit of pecorino and some toasted bread for a delicious meal.  It ended up being just what I needed after feeling a bit snarky from being busy at work all day...nothing like some comfort food to boost your mood!  Try this the next time you are craving something Italian, but a little different! 

Eggs in Puttanesca

Serves 2

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp red wine
1 Tbsp capers
6 kalamata olives, sliced
1 15 oz can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp fennel seed
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
water
6 cups water
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
4 large organic eggs

1/2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
4 baguette sliced, toasted


In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms, and saute a few minutes untl garlic is fragrant, then add wine, capers, olives, tomatoes, pepper flakes, herbs, fennel, and sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Let the mixture simmer on lower heat for about 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, when sauce is nearly done cooking, to poach eggs, heat water to a simmer in a medium saucepan with the vinegar and salt. Crack an egg into a ramakin. Stir water with a spoon to swirl, and carefully pour egg into it. Let cook for 3-4 minutes or preferred doneness, and remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate, and cover with a bowl to keep warm. Repeat with other 3 eggs. When eggs are done, sprinkle a bit of sea salt and freshly ground pepper over each (if desired), spoon tomato sauce mixture into 2 bowls, dividing evenly. Top each with 2 eggs, then sprinkle with the romano and serve with the baguette slices!

3 comments:

Roxan said...

Hi Amy, just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for an award! It means I enjoy your blog. Have a great weekend!

The Housewife said...

This would be a great breakfast after a late night too! :) I do have a soft corner for puttanesca sauce and yup.. I do prefer my sauce without the anchovies! So thanks for sharing a great recipe!

Amy said...

Thanks Roxan! That means a lot to me! I enjoy reading your blog as well :)!