Sunday, March 28, 2010

Asian Peanut Slaw

I must be on a peanut butter kick lately because it is finding it's way into many of the dishes I have made this weekend from salads to cupcakes.  Maybe it has something to do with me finding 3 unused jars of it in my cupboard while I was cleaning it out this weekend, and thinking maybe I should find some interesting ways to use some of it up before it goes rancid (since the natural stuff doesn't last forever like the sugar filled brands).  Well actually, that was just a lucky find since I love the stuff and could eat a whole jar in a sitting if it wasn't a gazillion calories!   So being on my peanut butter kick, I decided to make a salad dressing with it, using a recipe I often make when I want something peanutty since it is so good.  Sometimes I make more of this dressing and toss it with soba noodles for a hot entree, or use it as a dipping sauce for spring rolls, but today it was salad.  Here is the recipe for the dressing and the salad:

Asian Peanut Slaw
serves 2-4

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp tamari
Juice of one lemon
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 garlic clove
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
water as needed
sea salt to taste

1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 cup shredded green cabbage
1 bell pepper, cut julienne
1 medium carrot, cut julienne
1 cup snap peas
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts

In a food processor, combine all dressing ingredients and process until smooth (adding a little water (a Tbsp at a time) if a thinner consistency is desired), set aside.  Combine all the veggies and cilantro in a bowl, and toss with the dressing until well coated.  Divide the salad among the serving plates and top with the peanuts. 

No comments: